You have a brand, product, course, or project that you want to advertise, but you hesitate which marketing channel to choose? Do you want to be ahead of your competitors and reach out to new audiences? In this case, take a look at Telegram.
Telegram is not only one of the most popular messengers worldwide, but a new trend in social marketing over the last year. This messenger has the best audience and a high engagement rate. This article provides all you need to know to launch successful ad campaigns on Telegram.
Table of contents
- What is Telegram
- Telegram Basics
- Telegram Features: Channels, Bots, Groups
- Telegram Marketing: How to advertise
- Telega.io — the best solution for your business needs and objectives
- The filter of Telegram audiences by country and language
- The filter of Telegram audiences by gender
- The filter of Telegram audiences by interests
- Analyze Telegram channels
- Create Telegram ads
- How to choose Telegram channels
What is Telegram?
Telegram is a free application that allows people to exchange instant messages: send each other texts, photos, videos, and audio files. You can also create group chats (up to 200.000 participants), join channels, and make video and audio calls.
Interesting fact, the developers haven't spent any money on advertising and attracting users: new participants join by «word of mouth». What attracts people and makes them stay?
Introduced in 2013 and rapidly gaining popularity today, Telegram surprises users with a radically new approach to some familiar (and often quite inconvenient) things. At first sight, Telegram is similar to other messengers — WhatsApp, Viber, Signal. But unlike its competitors, Telegram offers a number of advantages worth your attention.
In a few words, Telegram is about simplicity, user-friendly interface, wide functionality, high data transfer speed, and security of operation. You just need to download the app from the App Store or Google Play, register with your phone number, and start using it. With a convenient search bar, you can find new contacts, topic channels, and groups by first letters or hashtags. You can also easily create your own channel and start sharing content and inviting subscribers!
- Telegram is considered to be the fastest and most secure messenger. Two-step authentication, secret chats with automatic removal of messages, option to delete active sessions on other devices (for example, if you logged into your account from someone else's device and forgot to log out).
- Telegram offers the most stable system of message delivery, they are never lost even with a low connection. The drafts of your messages are saved even if the connection was lost.
- The messenger is available for all systems: IOS, Android, Windows, Linux. There are online and desktop versions. In addition, you can log in from multiple devices at once: the number of simultaneous sessions is unlimited.
- Telegram allows you to transfer files of any format: RAR archives, Excel tables, PDFs, MP3, and videos. The file size is limited up to 1.5 Gb.
- Telegram uses cloud data storage. Your messages will be saved and restored even if you have lost your phone or deleted/restored the app.
- You can even use Telegram as personal storage and database. Create folders for work, study, entertainment and add their relevant channels and groups. Or use the «Saved Messages» channel and forward their pictures, files, and useful links.
- You don't have to share your phone number. Create a special nickname @username and people will find you in the messenger. You also have a personal link to your profile. You can add it to your signature, place it on business cards, etc. People will follow it and open a chat room with you.
- Telegram stickers are animated (or not) pictures expressing your emotions and making the mood of your conversation. They can be stylized for any theme: movie and book characters, famous people, even branded versions created by companies.
- And, of course, the most significant features of Telegram: channels, groups, and bots.
On Telegram, you can find content on various topics or create your own informational source. The way you spread your message to the world is up to you, but here are the main options available in the app.
Telegram Channel — is a communication tool between the author and the subscribers of the channel. Channels are special micro-blogs, where authors share information with an unlimited number of users instantly. There are two formats: private or public. Private channels are available only by special access links.
Only the author of the community has the right to send messages. Subscribers can only give likes, participate in polls, and read new posts. The channel owner can give administrator rights to one or more subscribers. When new users join they can see the whole chat history.
Channels open up a wide range of opportunities for self-realization and self-expression in any genre. Each user can share his or her creativity with the world and eventually be noticed by sponsors or monetize their creativity.
Educational and highly specialized channels serve as platforms for the exchange of professional experience and opinions of masters in a particular field. Groups of specialists discuss working points and ways of solving professional problems.
Entrepreneurs can use Telegram channels to advertise their product or service, raise brand awareness, and build a loyal customer community. Latest updates, case stories, and other topical materials can be delivered to the audience quickly. On the other hand, channel owners can get additional income from their channels through selling advertising.
To find channels, you need to click on the magnifier icon located in the top line. In the search bar, write the name of the chat, keywords, or topic. After that, the service will show a list of channels that match your request. Then you click on the channel, view content, and join it only if you like what you have found. You can also look for the catalogs and tops of themed channels on the Internet.
Telegram Bot — is a special account that was developed to perform certain tasks in Telegram. Bots are easy to identify: they always have the word «bot» in their names, they cannot start a conversation on their own, they do not have the status of «online» or «offline», i.e. you will always see just the signature «bot».
Bots react to text commands sent by users with programmed actions. They only start working after you press «Start». Bots are available 24/7 and do not require installation of any additional apps — interaction with bots is made within the messenger.
This virtual assistant can be programmed to send news, jokes, reminders, search for necessary information, translate and edit documents… Bots' functions are unlimited!
How can bots support your business?
- Bots make it easy for users to explore the catalog, place orders, pay for them, check the status of the order, track delivery, etc. Bots can notify customers about discounts, bonus programs, and even provide short consultations.
- Bots work as effective customer support, which stays active 24/7. They help solve problems and act like interactive FAQs.
- Telegram bots are used for events. The bot helps followers receive information about speeches and speakers, collect feedback after the event, announce different activities, make advertisements, etc.
You can find bots by entering their names (@best_bot) in the Telegram search bar, or look for ready selections and catalogs on the Internet. Also, you can create your own bots and sell them.
Groups — are created to organize communication of a definite circle. The number of subscribers is limited to 200 thousand people. Groups are widely used as work and student chats, as personal chats for family and friends. If the number of participants is exceeded, you can change the status to a supergroup. In this case, the maximum number of subscribers increases to 500 thousand.
When choosing a tool for communicating on Telegram, you need to define the purpose. Groups are mostly created for communication only. Channels are started for sharing content, advertising, and earning money. The channel owner needs to constantly update the content, otherwise, subscribers will lose their interest and leave the channel. To make it profitable, you need to create a content plan for the months ahead.
Telegram Marketing: Basic Steps
All these features make Telegram a unique platform for business development and communication with clients. Channels and bots are relatively new to the audience, they are not yet perceived as ad tools. People are more willing to join Telegram channels because they believe they get qualitative content and useful information there. They are engaged with the topic and not annoyed with notifications.
There are two ways for entrepreneurs how to use Telegram for marketing:
- Use the official Telegram ad platform.
- Buy ads in specialized services.
1) Official Ad Platform
Recently, the founder of the app, Pavel Durov, announced an official ad platform within the Telegram messenger. Sponsored messages are only shown on Telegram channels with more than 1.000 subscribers, text size is limited to 160 characters with no pictures or external links. The ads are not displayed in group chats or private conversations. Durov believes that monetization should not interfere with users’ communications. The user will see the advertising message only after the author's content.
However, ad campaigns are available only after you top up the balance with 2 million euros. Where 1 million is spent on advertising, and the second part is frozen as a deposit. If the advertiser decides to terminate the contract with Telegram before spending 10 million euros on advertising in the last 12 months, Telegram takes the deposit for itself. If it succeeds, 1 million euros will be returned to the advertiser.
At the moment, the Telegram board wants to attract large advertising agencies that make money by managing their clients' ad campaigns and getting commissions. Large companies can afford to invest significant amounts of money because they won't stop using the platform if one of their clients goes bankrupt.
Here is an official screencast demonstrating how Sponsored messages look like when you advertise on Telegram:
To start using the official Telegram Marketing Platform follow the link.
2) Ads Platform on Telegram
If you are new to Telegram advertising, if you have a limited budget, if you seek quick results with transparent analytics, if you want to save your time on searching and verifying trusted channels owners- use ads platforms on Telegram, such as Telega.io.
The ad platform connects owners of different Telegram channels with advertisers who want to advertise on Telegram and reach new customers. This service is an excellent tool to improve your marketing strategy.
One of the service's significant advantages is a safe deal option. When the advertiser pays for ad campaigns, the money is frozen till the placement is made by the channel owner.
Telega.io — the best solution for your business needs and objectives
Telega.io offers a rich catalog of themed channels and bots.
On the platform, you can use special filters to select channels and bots most suitable for advertising your business and product. You can segment the audience focusing on different parameters. Let’s have a closer look at some of them.
The filter of Telegram audiences by country and language
Of course, it’s important to communicate with your customers in one language. If you have an international business and target not only English-speaking countries, select channels in other languages.
The filter of Telegram audiences by gender
Sometimes, it can be helpful to filter the audience by gender. You can better plan your ad strategy and deliver your message in a personalized way. There are some peculiarities of how women and men are evaluating new offers from the point of texts structures, color perception, reaction to slogans, jokes, and illustrations.
Also, your product might be specially designed for mostly male or female audiences.
Use this filter and see the list of channels meeting the needs of your product and potential customers.
The filter of Telegram audiences by interests
We have already stated that Telegram offers a new approach to communication. Users receive messages and notifications only if they have previously subscribed to certain channels and given their permission. They make this choice freely, based on their interests, hobbies, professional activities.
So, concentrate on certain topics and pay attention to how they match with your business. To reach more prospects, choose a few channels with related topics. Telega.io provides more than 40 different themed channels.
Explore your opportunities! Choose different combinations of the channels based on ER, Followers number, Gender, View per post, Placement formats, etc.
Analyze Telegram channels
When creating an ad campaign, make sure to analyze each telegram channel in your selection. Only verified channels and bots are added, so it makes your planning easy.
Also, specialists of the Telega.io platform are constantly evaluating the Telegram ads market and sharing the latest statistics. This data is crucially important when planning new ad campaigns.
Remember to buy ads on channels with 3.000 to 100.000 subscribers; with ER minimum of 15%; check channels on fake subscribers through special services like tgstat.com.
How to create Telegram ads
With Telega.io, you can create Telegram ads campaigns and launch them in a few clicks!
- Choose suitable topics of channels in the catalog
- Top-up your balance. Until you confirm the successful placement of your ads the owner of the channel will not get the money. In case your order is not fulfilled, the service will return the cost of placement to your balance.
- You use an easy and convenient editor to write your ad post ( create one ad post for all channels ).
- You use analytics to summarize your ad campaign results.
By the way, the platform supports all international payment channels:
If you create ads on Telegram yourself, reach out to the channel owners whose channels you like and agree on the payment, publication date, and time; create an ad post; send the payment and analyze results. It is also necessary to ask the channel owner to share the channel statistics.
How to choose Telegram channels
To sum up, advertising on Telegram is not as difficult as it may seem. Pay attention to the parameters we have listed above when choosing suitable Telegram channels; create valuable content, and clear messages; analyze your audience, and plan your ad campaign based on this data; follow the latest news and updates in the world of digital marketing.
You can look for these trends yourself, but there is a more effective and reliable way –– read Telega.io Blog. The team regularly posts success stories, market research, tips and tricks for effective Telegram advertising, and much more!
Do you have any questions?
Stay up to date with the latest news
📱 Read our Telegram channel to stay up to date with the latest Telegram marketing news and updates to our service.